Welcome To Americas Best Value Inn - Marysville, CA

History Of Marysville

Theodore Cordua leased land from John A Sutter in the fall of 1842. Cordua later named the land the City of Marysville. Cordua raised livestock on the land and in 1843 built a home and trading post at which is now known as the southern end of "D" Street.

 

Cordua obtained an additional seven leagues of land in 1844, adjacent to that leased from Sutter, from the Mexican government. A former employee of Cordua known as Charles Covillaud, struck it rich in the gold fields and returned to buy one-half of the Cordua Ranch in 1848. The other half was purchased by Michael C. Nye and William Foster in January 1849. Nye and Foster, brothers-in-law to Covillaud's new wife Mary, then sold their interest to Covillaud.

 

In October of the same year, Covillaud sold three-fourths of the ranch to Jose Ramirez, John Sampson, and Theodore Sicard.

During the Gold Rush, the ranch became a point of debarkation for riverboats from San Francisco and Sacramento filled with miners on their way to the 'diggins'. In 1850. The four partners hired a French surveyor named Augustus Le Plongeon to create a master plan for a town.

 

Newly arrived Attorney Stephen Fields purchased 65 lots and drew up a proper deed for the land being sold. Along with land development came government and the name "Marysville", named for Covillaud's new wife, Mary Murphy. Mary was a survivor of the ill-fated Donner Party.